St. Johns Methodist Church/St. John Methodist Church Cemetery
N 34°15’12.51″ W 80° 4’59.05″
220 W. Seven Pines St. (off #403)
The first meeting of what would become St. John Methodist Church took place under a bush arbor. The congregation completed their first permanent sanctuary, a one-room frame structure, in 1867. Having outgrown that building, the members built a larger frame church in 1907. After nearly seventy years of service, that building was replaced by the current sanctuary in 1976.
The St. John Methodist Church Cemetery contains graves from as early as the 1890s and is still in use. The cemetery contains over 600 graves of church members and other African Americans from Hartsville, Darlington, Lamar, and surrounding Areas.
Don’t miss the chance to participate in some really fun and educational events.