Rosenwald Consolidated School
N 34°28’36.01″ W 79°51’31.94″
410 Rosenwald St. (off #52)
The Julius Rosenwald Consolidated School, built in 1930, was a combined elementary and high school until 1953 and a high school until 1982. It brought in African-American students from three rural schools in and near Society Hill. A brick school built at a cost of $11,150, it was one of almost 500 in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation 1917-1932. Arthur A. Prince was its first principal.
The school opened with pupils in grades 1-10; grade 11 was added in 1939 and grade 12 in 1948. A frame industrial education building was built in 1936. The school, accredited after World War II, became Rosenwald High School, though it continued to include elementary pupils until 1954, when a new Rosenwald Elementary School was built in Society Hill. The high school closed in 1982.
Don’t miss the chance to participate in some really fun and educational events.