Calling all scribes! We’re on the hunt for interesting stories relating to Darlington County history, culture, and/or its people and places. So if you got one, read on to find out how to share it on our blog and with our over 1.2K followers on Facebook!
To be considered for publication, articles must have some clear connection to Darlington County history, culture, or its people, and be no more than 1,500 words. Aside from that, please follow these submission guidelines:
- Make sure your article is in paragraph form and has been proofread for grammar, spelling, and punctuation. (If you need help with that, here is a helpful link on how to use Spell and Grammar Check on Microsoft Word.)
- Make sure your article has been edited for content. In other words, your article should be coherent, have a clear beginning, middle, and end, and have a “point.” Ask yourself these questions before submitting. Is any part of my article confusing, and if so, which part and how can I fix it? What is my article about? What do I want readers to learn or feel or think about as they read it? We encourage you to have a trusted friend read your article and provide critical feedback before submitting it to us.
Topics we’re interesting in include but are not limited to:
- Brief histories of churches, houses, and/or businesses in Darlington County
- Family folktales and/or character sketches
- Firsthand accounts of events in Darlington County history
- Childhood remembrances
We cannot accept sermons/testimonials, family genealogies, fiction, poetry, or anything politically controversial.
How to Submit
- Copy and paste your article directly into an email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to put “Guest Blog Submission” in the subject line of the email. (If you need help copying and pasting a Word document, here is a helpful link for that.)
- A bio and a brief note summarizing your article and your connection to Darlington County should accompany your submission.
We’ll get back to you within a couple of weeks if we want to use your submission. All accepted articles will be edited and fact-checked before publication. And we might ask for pictures relating to your story.
So send us your stories! We can’t wait!