Darlington Memorial Cemetery
N 34° 18′ 04.87″ W 79° 51′ 23.20″
589 D Ave. (off #52)
This cemetery, established in 1890, was originally a five-acre tract when it was laid out as the cemetery for the nearby Macedonia Baptist Church. The first African American cemetery in Darlington, it includes about 1,900 graves dating from the late 19th century to the present. In 1946 Bethel A.M.E. Church and St. James Methodist Church, both nearby, established their own cemeteries here as well.
Among the prominent persons buried here are Rev. Isaac Brockenton (1829-1908), the founding pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church; Edmund H. Deas (1855-1915), prominent Darlington County politician; and Lawrence Reese (1864-1915), a self-taught designer and master craftsman who designed and built several houses on West Broad Street. This cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
Don’t miss the chance to participate in some really fun and educational events.