Category: Jacob Kelley House

The Jacob Kelley House – Encampment of the Third Division, Fifteenth Union Army Corps

Today in Darlington County History, March 1-3, 1865, This house, the home of Jacob Kelley (1780-1874), was used as a Union headquarters on March 2-3, 1865 by Major-General John E. Smith, Commander of the Third Division, Fifteenth Army Corps. During the encampment by Federal forces, the mills near Kelley Town were run for the benefit of the Third Division and foraging parties roamed the area.