N 34° 21′ 32.44″ W 80° 04′ 12.30″
1103 S. 6th St. (DT)
Butler School, located on this site since 1921, was the second public school to serve Hartsville’s black community and operated for over sixty years. Known as the Darlington Co. Training School until 1939, it was renamed for Rev. Henry H. Butler, its principal 1909-1946. The first building on this site burned in 1961; extant buildings date from 1936 to the mid-1960s. Butler School was a junior high and high school when it closed in 1982.
Don’t miss the chance to participate in some really fun and educational events.