This photograph, circa 1902, shows Hartsville’s first Black School at the corner of Sixth Street and Marion Avenue. The photo is courtesy of T.B. & Lovis Thomas. It was printed in the Hartsville Messenger on January 29, 1999 and was a part of a Black History Month Special.
Darlington County Historical Marker
|Marker ID:||SCHM 16-70|
|Location:||630 S. 6th St (Downtown)|
|County & State:||Darlington County, South Carolina|
|Coordinates:||N 34° 21′ 58.78″ W 80° 04′ 19.55″|
|Erected by:||Private or Site Owner in 2012.|
The first public school for the black children of Hartsville and vicinity operated on this site from about 1900 to 1921. It was renamed Darlington County Training School in 1918. A new school was built on 6th St. south of this site in 1921. Rev. Henry H. Butler (1887-1948) was principal at both sites for a combined 37 years. The 1921 school was renamed Butler School in Butler’s honor in 1939.
Mt. Pisgah Presbyterian Church grew out of a Sunday school started on this site by Rev. T.J. James in 1922. The church was organized that same year, and a new church building was erected nearby in 1926. Rev. James also founded Mt. Pisgah Nursery School, which operated in the old graded school here for many years. Rev. James’s family later donated this property to the city for Pride Park, established in 1986.
Don’t miss the chance to participate in some really fun and educational events.