Located on Avenue D and Friendship Street in Darlington, the Darlington Memorial Cemetery was the first cemetery created for African-Americans in the community. The cemetery began in 1890 as a five-acre cemetery established by Macedonia Baptist Church and African-American citizens in Darlington. In 1946, Bethel A.M.E. Church and St. James Methodist Church established cemeteries across from Macedonia Baptist Church Cemetery. The three cemeteries are collectively known as the Darlington Memorial Cemetery. The cemetery includes graves dating back to the late 19th century and includes graves of many prominent and well-known African-American residents of the town. Notable citizens such as Rev. Isaac P. Brockenton, D.D. (1828-1908), minister and public servant; Lawrence Cain (1871-1944), principle of Mayo Grade School and Mayo High School; Edmund H. Deas (1855-1915), a prominent politician; Lawrence Reese (1864-1915), a merchant and self-taught designer and master craftsman; and Dr. Mable K. Howard (1876-death unknown), an educator.
We here at DCHC are dedicated to promoting the rich and varied history of Darlington County. So if you enjoy our posts, please Like us on Facebook by clicking here. And, by all means, follow our blog as well.