Jerusalem Baptist Church, located at 6th Street and Laurens Avenue in Hartsville, is one of the oldest African-American churches in Darlington County. Organized after the Civil War, its first church service was held in a brush arbor on Snake Branch, a creek near E. Carolina Avenue. Jerusalem’s first permanent church, a log building, was built at this location. In 1898, Jerusalem’s Trustees acquired the current site and built the present church in 1907. The congregation was chartered in 1908. The church, a frame building, was described as “a splendid achievement” when it was covered in brick veneer and rededicated in 1939. During the Great Depression, Jerusalem boasted a membership of more than 350 members. Reverend Henry H. Butler was the pastor until his death in 1932.
We here at DCHC are dedicated to promoting the rich and varied history of Darlington County. So if you enjoy our posts, please Like us on Facebook by clicking here. And, by all means, follow our blog as well.
Don’t miss the chance to participate in some really fun and educational events.
No responses yet