St. David’s Academy Organized
In 1777, a group of prosperous planters of the area formed the St. David’s Society to promote the cause of education.
Darlington County Historical Marker
|Marker ID:||SCHM 16-9|
|Location:||499 S. Main St. (#15)|
|County & State:||Darlington County, South Carolina|
|Coordinates:||N 34° 30′ 21.90″ W 79° 51′ 27.77″|
|Erected by:||Darlington County Historical Commission in 1970.|
The St. David´s Society, organized in 1777 and chartered in 1778, built the first public academy in St. David´s Parish 3/4 mile northeast in 1786. Alexander McIntosh, George Hicks, Abel Kolb, William Pegues, and Thomas Evans were early officers. The academy was removed to this site about 1840 and the present building was erected in 1957.
Same as Front
1777 was a Busy Year in The Welsh Settlement
In 1777, a group of prosperous planters of the area formed the St. David’s Society to promote the cause of education; little was done during the war, but with the return of peace, a schoolhouse – St. David’s Academy – was erected on the first hill beyond the river, about 1 mile from the village of Long Bluff; a few years later, the Welsh Neck Baptist Church removed from the east side of the river to a lot on the hill, adjacent to the Academy. A new community began to grow up around the Academy and Church, and was named Greeneville in honor of Gen. Greene of the Revolution.
The old village of Long Bluff was eventually abandoned in favor of the new village on the hill, which soon changed its name to Society Hill obviously in honor of the Academy of St. David’s Society which dominated the hill. Society Hill, with its old, respected and influential Baptist Church; its Academy boasting tutors of the highest caliber; and its Library Society soon became the unchallenged cultural center of the Pee Dee Region, a title it held for generations.
Pictured above are pages from the St. Davids Society Subscription List dated 1777-1781.
Pictured above are add-in pages from the St. Davids Society Subscription List dated 1777-1781.
Pictured above is the D’s from the St. Davids Society Membership List.
Pictured above is the the M’s from the St. Davids Society Membership List.
Pictured above is the resignation letter of General Robert Ellison, given to the St. Davids Society in 1805.
Report of Standing Committee given to the St. Davids Society in 1805.
Don’t miss the chance to participate in some really fun and educational events.